ROY BLUNT , REP. MIS.
- “Do you know how many Frenchmen it takes to defend Paris? It’s not known. It’s never been tried” – House Majority Whip Roy Blunt of Missouri – (417) 889-1800 – (202) 225-6536
- “Somebody was telling me about the French Army rifle that was being advertised on eBay the other day — the description was, ‘Never shot. Dropped once” —Missouri Republican Rep. Roy Blunt
NOTE : Roy Blunt (R-Mo.), born 1950 avoided the draft for Vietnam. Currently featured on the ChickenHawk Database
GINNY BROWN-WAITE , REP. FLA.
A Florida congresswoman who planned to introduce a bill that would let the families of Americans killed and buried in France and Belgium during the world wars ship their remains back home.
TOM DELAY, REP, TEX.
- “France and Germany are losing credibility by the day, and they are losing, I think, status in the world,” – “They are walking a fine line that is very dangerous.”
NOTE :Tom DeLay (R-Tex), born 1947 avoided the draft for Vietnam. Currently featured on the ChickenHawk Database
JACK KINGSTON, REP. GA.
Tried to have hospitality company Sodexho terminated as the food services provider to the Marine Corps. Sodexho employs about 110,000 Americans in all 50 states.
DENNIS HASTERT, REP. ILL., HOUSE SPEAKER
U.S. House Speaker Dennis Hastert prepared legislation that would have require bright orange warning labels on French red wine bottled before 1998. The labels were going to warn consumers that the wine could contain cow’s blood which winemakers formerly used as a clarifying agent. –
PETER KING , REP., N.Y.
- “While many might be comfortable ignoring and even allowing France’s anti-American rants and maneuvers to continue, the reality is that this is a time of survival—and quite frankly I am tired of the United States being a punching bag to a second-rate country”
- “Anything we can do to hurt them without hurting us, I will support,” –
TOM LANTOS, REP. CAL.
- “I am particularly disgusted by the blind intransigence and utter ingratitude of France, Germany and Belgium, countries which blocked our efforts to even engage in contingency planning if our ally Turkey were attacked by Iraq. Had it not been for our military commitment, France, Germany and Belgium today would be Soviet socialist republics. The failure of these states to honor their commitments is beneath contempt.” – Rep. Tom Lantos (Dem.-Calif.) –
BOB NEY, REP., OHIO
- Co-sponsored a move to rename French Fries to Freedom Fries in a bid to protest France’s opposition to the war.
WALTER JONES, REP., N.C.
- Co-sponsored a move to rename French Fries to Freedom Fries in a bid to protest France’s opposition to the war. Later regretted the move.
JIM SAXTON, REP. N.J.
- France-Bashing on the Hill was led by Rep. Jim Saxton (R-N.J.), who had introduced three bills this session to slap France for its opposition to war with Iraq.